Having a baby is one of the most exciting times in your life, but it can also be daunting. Your life is going to change completely, and you might feel a bit unprepared as you try to figure out everything you’re going to need. Don’t worry though. We’ve got your back with this list of baby registry essentials, so you can be sure to have everything you need when your little one arrives.
1. Baby clothes
5-7 one-piece pajamas
1-3 sweaters or jackets
1-3 rompers or other dress-up outfits
6-8 socks or booties
1-3 hats (broad-brimmed for summer, soft cap that covers ears for winter)
3-5 pairs of pants
4-6 swaddle blankets
2 blanket sleepers for a winter baby
Bunting bag or fleece suit for a winter baby
Gentle laundry detergent
Diaper pail and liners
Unscented baby wipes (causes less irritation)
6-10 dozen cloth diapers and 6-8 diaper covers, or 2-3 large boxes of disposable newborn-size diapers
3. Baby bedding
1-3 washable crib mattress pads
2-4 fitted crib sheets
4-6 soft, light receiving blankets
1-2 heavier blankets for colder climates
Crib, cradle or bassinet
Firm, flat mattress that fits snugly in crib
Rocking, glider, or arm chair
3-4 learning activity toys
Changing pad cover
2-4 soft towels or hooded baby towels
Soft washcloths (keep apart from diaper washcloths)
10-16 bottles and nipples, both 4- and 8- ounce
Pump (if you plan to breastfeed)
Milk storage bags (if you plan to breastfeed)
Nursing pads (if you plan to breastfeed)
Nipple cream (if you plan to breastfeed)
Nursing pillow (if you plan to breastfeed)
Dishwasher basket for small items
Formula (if not nursing)
Baby nail clippers or blunt scissors
Petroleum jelly and sterile gauze (if you decide to circumcise)
Infant first aid kit
8. Baby gear
Infant or convertible car seat
Stroller or infant carrier
Baby swing or bouncer
Playard with bassinet
Keep in mind that each baby’s needs are going to be unique, and use this list as a guide rather than a rule. If your baby is coming in the winter, you’ll want to get warm clothing right away, but if they’re coming in the summer, you can put off the coats and extra blankets for a bit.
There are also a few things that you might be tempted to put on your baby registry, but you can probably skip, such as:
- Baby shoes – you can get socks and booties and skip the shoes until baby starts walking.
- Crib bumpers – bumpers are a hazard and shouldn’t be used.
- Drop down crib – drop down cribs aren’t manufactured anymore. If you are given a hand-me-down, check to make sure it abides by current safety standards.
- Bottle warmer – bottle warmers can be convenient, but they really aren’t necessary.
- Dressy clothes – babies don’t get out to many soirees, so if you don’t have an upcoming event in your baby’s first few months, just stick with the basics.
- TOYS – If there’s a specific toy you really want, go ahead and add it to your registry, but don’t ask for a lot of toys as people will get you plenty anyway.
- Diapers/newborn clothes – while these are important to have (we included them on our checklist), keep in mind that you’ll likely get a lot of these items whether or not they’re on your baby registry and use your best judgment when asking for them.
Need more help?
Schedule your FREE no-strings-attached 10 minute consult with our experts today. >>
About Gugu Guru
Discover your true baby registry must haves based on your unique lifestyle and personal style with Gugu Guru. Take a quiz and get a tailored list of what to put on baby registry. From the best car seat stroller combo for how you roll to the ideal bassinet and even twin baby stuff, Gugu Guru delivers personalized product recommendations for each parent’s exact needs.
Other Helpful Articles & Listicles
5 Pregnancy Must Haves You Need to Know About
6 Best Baby Registry Sites You Should Know About
7 Must Haves for New Moms to Make Your Life Easier
Why All Parents of Twins Should Have a Twin Carrier
Baby Registry Checklist So You Don’t Miss A Thing
Baby Registry Ideas For Expecting Parents
Baby Registry Must Haves
Best Baby Registry Items For Expectant Parents
Choosing the Best Car Seat Stroller Combo for You
Finding the Best Baby Registry for You
Mission Critical Baby Carrier for Dad
Must Have Baby Registry Items for New Parents
The Best Travel Car Seat for Infants and Toddlers
Top Baby Registry Items
Twin Baby Gifts Your Friends Will Love
Twin Baby Stuff You Need to Have
What to Put on Your Baby Registry
Why You Need a Twin Baby Carrier
Why You Need An Online Baby Registry